Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Electrical PE Exam Reference Books

Last night I took a break from studying to look up the recommended reference materials from the study book. They are all from like 1980s. You would think they could find modern equivelents, the books that we all use in school now, not seminal textbooks from the 80s that cost hundreds of bucks to track down!

I know I'm probably being picky, but honestly the list is useless. Bring the NEC, NESC, IESNA handbook and your books from school, but I don't think I would track down a single thing on this list. Any suggestions for other references, you know modern ones?

This was one of the rare ones that's been regularly updated since the 80s:




This one is from 1980:

An Introduction to Digital and Analog Integrated Circuits and Applications

Also from 1980:

Applied Electromagnetics

Oh I found one, and its $215...at least its modern






Back to 1981:

Electrical Power Technology (Electronic Technology Series)

At least you can pick this 1981 classic up for less than 2 bucks:

Linear Circuits

Woohoo, a modern update:



Back to the old stuff...



Earley and Sheehan haven't updated their National Electrical Code Handbook since the 2005 code cycle, might want to spec the new authors:



I thought this title was out of print, then I realized the PPI author spelled the author's name Marne wrong (Marie). At least the book is up to date.



Seriously, you want me to look at NEC code examples from 1999?



Ok, its from 1994, but someone else who recently passed the PE recommended it too:



The fact that this came out in 1999 and I think that's recent is reflective of the rest of this list.



2006! Woot, this list is going to end on a good note.



Yeah, I wouldn't take a much older book on Biomedical engineering seriously. Good call using a somewhat modern reference.



In fairness to the author, the new IESNA handbook only came out a month or so ago so I won't fault him for spec'ing the ten year old one.



A decent looking book, but unneeded for the Power test probably, might want to edit the list for each test now that you're selling 3 different prep books.


No comments:

Post a Comment