Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Choosing a Calculator for Electrical PE

In an attempt to count my time as preparing for the PE instead of procrastinating my reading assignment for the day, I decided it was time to get a new calculator.


NCEES  calculator policy as of Spring 2011:
No other models of calculators will be allowed.  Only the models listed below may be used on the examination.
  • Casio:   All fx-115 models. Any Casio calculator must contain fx-115 in its model name.  (Casio FX-115ES) ($19)
  • Hewlett Packard: The HP 33S ($53), HP 35s ($49) but no others. 
  • Texas Instruments:  All TI-30X ($12) and TI36X ($20) models. Any Texas Instruments calculator must contain either T1-30X or T1-36X in its model name.

It's important to practice with the calculator you will use on the actual test. I have been using the TI-30XIIS, which I have two of from someone else who took the PE. I quickly realized that the Civil PE and Electrical PE have one major difference when it comes to selecting a calculator. I need to easily be able to manipulate complex numbers and the TI wasn't cutting it. After a month of struggling with it and working around it, cursing at its lack of TI-89 skills, I gave up. This left me with the HP and Casio to choose from. The HP-33 is great if you need RPN, but it costs the most and didn't have great reviews, so I ended up buying two Casio FX-115ES from Walmart and calling it a day. I am so glad I switched. The three phase power problems are WAY easier. (beware, apparently this calculator is banned in some states its so awesome)

One thing that I really like about the 115ES is that you can input the values in rectangular and polar format in the same entry and it doesn't choke. Awesome! One less step for me, thank you.

Apparently you can get the HP-33 programmed to do all sorts of useful things for like $200, but I'd rather actually learn the material and the Casio does everything I need, thanks. I'll go back to using my TI-89 after this test.

Oh dear, I just spent 20 minutes monologuing about calculators. Back to power system analysis review.

No comments:

Post a Comment